Portugal Virtual

The City

Portugal > Tourism > Alentejo > Évora - The City

HistoryMunicipalityLodgingWine TourGastronomyGuided Tours


Roman Temple (Templo de Diana), Corinthian columns ruins of a most elegant temple from the end of the second century AD.


Cathedral St. Maria, built in the gothic style, completed in the 12th century and with a 14th century ogival cloister; the main entrance is decorated with sculptures of the apostles, the interior dates from the 17th - 18th century. The Sacred Art Museum is situated in the gallery above the nave house of the cathedral. (9-11.30 am & 2-4.30pm, exc. Monday)

Museum, the former Archbishops Palace. It has a good collection of Portuguese and European painting from 15th - 16th centuries, ceramics, Roman tablets, and medieval and Baroque jewelry. Among the works of golden age of the Portuguese Expansion, are the allegorical stone sculpture of the Discoveries, the coat of arms of Portugal and the marble grave of D. Duarte Costa, governor of Brazil. (9.30-12am & 2-5pm, exc. Mon. & Tues. mornings).

Convent (Convento de São João Evangelista), the Pousada de Lóios has been installed in the restored building of the former convent (fifteenth century), its pleasant atmosphere inviting you to rest awhile.

Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval, the palace is constructed from part of an old castle burnt in 1384, it is dominated by the architectural elements of the Manueline-Moorish period and by a tower called Tower of Five Shields.


Palace of the Counts of Basto, primitive Moorish castle and residence of the kings of the Alfonsine dynasty, the wall of the palace displays features of the Gothic, Manueline, Moorish and Renaissance style of architecture.

University of Évora, formerly a Jesuit college built by Cardinal King Henrique in 1559, it includes the 16th century mannerist church and the academic buildings surrounding the large 17th and 18th century cloister. (Mon. to Fri. 8am-7pm).

Torres da Cerca Velha

Janela de Garcia de Resende, window of the house of Garcia de Resende who was the king's secretary, a poet and a chronicler.

Renaissance Fountain in the Largo das Portas de Moura


Igreja da Misercórdia

Convento de Nossa Senhora da Graça, (convent) built in the Italian Renaissance style. It is a quite unique building, with a sturdy-looking façade and a heavy portico ending in a double open triangular pediment, with angels along the top.

Igreja de S. Francisco, (S. Francisco Church) started along late gothic lines, it was not completed until the manueline period, contains the chapel of bones, a chapel drawing on religious baroque influences which is totally covered with human bones. 9-12am & 2.30-5.30pm.

Palace of D. Manuel, remains of a palace built by the Avis Dynasty in the 16th century, a moresque-gothic-renaissance style, according to some chroniclers, in 1497 in this palace Vasco da Gama was given the command of the squadron he would lead on his maritime journey to India).

Ermida de S. Brás, (St. Brás Chapel) built in 1480 and a good example of moresque-gothic with cylindrical buttresses, only open for prayer.

Giraldo Square, in the center of the city, in the square where King Duarte built the Estaus Palace which even today maintains its Gothic look, the fountain and St Anton's church are from the 16th century.


Igreja e Torre de Salvador, (Savior Church and Tower).

Porta Romana de D. Isabel

Aquaduct, (Aqueduto da Água de Prata) with its huge arches stretching for 8 km, this aqueduct was built in 1531-37 by King João III to supply the city with water.

Calvario Convent, built by D. Maria in 1570.

Convento de St. Clara, cloisters of the Alentejo Renaissance style.

Torre de Menagem de Porta de Alconchel

Hotel M'AR De AR
Next to the XIVth century city wall, between the Alconchel and Raimundo city gates, the Hotel M'AR De AR in right in the middle of the historic part of Evora. Its 91 rooms and suites follow this philosophy and do offer the comfort of the best hotels of the world without being similar to any of them.
Pousada de Lóios
Previously the Monastery of the Lóios Monks, this historic building is now one of the most popular of the Pousadas of Portugal. A living document of Portuguese history, it is in the center of Evora, one of the most fascinating towns in Portugal and one of the few to be designated as a world heritage site by UNESCO. Opened in 1965, it has 32 rooms and a small swimming pool. It is well known for its restaurant.
Posada de Lóios
Hotel Evora***
A friendly tasteful hotel with a large garden, 2 pools, suitable for families with children, serves great food in its award winning restaurant, located in Evora, World Heritage Site, only 1 hour from Lisbon airport.
Hotel Evora

HistoryMunicipalityLodgingWine TourGastronomyGuided Tours

Portugal > Tourism > Alentejo > Évora - The City
Portugal Virtual

The City