Portugal Virtual

Sintra
Churches

Portugal > Tourism > Lisbon > Sintra > Churches
St. Mamede Church

This church with is circular plan and saloio porch all round is the centre of a very ancient folk pilgrimage that includes a traditional blessing of livestock under the protection of Saint Mamede. The church is believed to have been built over the structure of a Roman edifice, of which part of the podium is still visible. Inside, in a central position, a podium might have been formerly a roman altar dedicated to Diana, the hunting goddess, an interesting paralel with the present patron, Saint Mamede, protector of the animals, an explanation to the fact that these had free entrance in the chapel up to recent times.
St. Mamede Church

St. Maria Church

Founded by Dom Afonso Herinques after the Reconquest (12th century), but completely altered at the end of the 13th and start of the 14th Century, this ancient Gothic temple has three naves with ogival arches and finely worked capitals, and expresses admirably the sacred space of medieval churches. The main doorway, inscribed in a Gothic gablet, was added to in the early 16th Century - a double entrance with classical column in the centre. Also from that period are the choir with its lacunar vaulting and the font and stoup, which are Manueline. Of note is an excellent sculpture of the Immaculate Conception, in polychrome wood (17th Century) in the Gothic chancel.
Visits subject to arrangement in advance.
1.5 km from Old Quarter. Arrabalde - Santa Maria, 2710-198 Sintra.


St. Martinho Church

This parish church (like Santa Maria and São Pedro) was destroyed by the 1755 earthquake and rebuilt out of character at the end of the 18th Century. Of the original structure there remain only the Gothic chancel, visible from outside, including the 14th Century stone plaque of Margarida Fernandes, and three Portuguese paintings on wood from the middle of the 16th Century - "Saint Martin and the Beggar", "Saint Peter" and "Saint Anthony", attributable to the artist known as the Master of São Quintino.
In the Old Quarter. Praça da República, 2710-616 Sintra.
10.00 - 12.00; 14.00 - 19.30

St. Pedro de Penaferrim Church
Medieval in origin, already exisiting in 1403, this church was enlarged in the 16th Century (1565) on the initiative of Dom Alvaro de Castro. It has a single nave with a 16th Century lacunar vault and the side walls are lined with magnificent panels of blue and white azulejos of Lisbon workmanship, dating from the first half of the 18th Century and depicting scenes from the life of Saint Peter. Also noteworthy is the Baroque doorway of the facade, carrying the arms of the Archbishop of Lisbon, Dom Tomás de Almeida, a prelate who endowed the church with important works.


In the body of the church of note is a Gothic sculpture of Saint Peter (15th Century) originally in the Romanesque Chapel of Sao Pedro, the ruins of which are still to be seen near the Castelo dos Mouros. In the sacristy is an ivory Christ, of Luso-Oriental origin (end of the 17th Century) and a canvas by Bento Coelho (circa 1700).
2 km from Old Quarter. Lg. da Igreja, S. Pedro de Sintra, 2710-487 Sintra.
Portugal > Tourism > Lisbon > Sintra > Churches
Portugal Virtual

Churches
Sintra